As an alternative to a fixed porcelain bridge, a direct bonded bridge can be used to replace a missing tooth. The procedure is completed in a single appointment where the missing tooth is attached or bonded to the adjacent tooth using modern adhesive dental techniques.
The missing tooth may either be:
- A plastic denture tooth
- The patient’s own tooth with the root section removed
- A resin tooth formed from tooth-coloured restorative material
It is attached to one tooth on either side of the gap and may be reinforced with fibres which are embedded into the material for added strength.
- Low cost
- Can be completed in only one appointment
- Minimal or no re-shaping of the adjacent tooth
- Can be used in emergency situations where a front tooth has been lost
- Although it is considered as a temporary or semi-permanent solution, they may last many years
- They are generally not as strong as a fixed porcelain bridge
- The material’s aesthetics are not as good as a porcelain